McDonalds Seeds has served the farmer for over 112 years since its inception in 1902. We provide top quality tested seed especially suited to local conditions, supported by a dedicated and knowledgeable team offering technical back-up to our agents and customers across South Africa.
What has been a limiting factor for carrot production in KwaZulu-Natal in summer has always been high disease pressure.
This is largely due to high humidity and fluctuating temperatures; especially from the months October to February.
Powdery Mildew and Alternaria have a devastating effect on carrot production during these months.
These are also them months where high prices can be reached due to difficult growing conditions , for example low supply = good demand = high prices.
With the intensive trialing over the years by Sakata Seeds and McDonalds Seeds attempted to find a cultivar which could withstand such conditions.
Nativa F1 Hybrid Carrot stood head and shoulders over a number of varieties as well as the standard commercial varieties.
Nativa Hybrid Carrot – Special features:
• Summer to early autumn sowing
• Very early maturing
• Excellent yield potential
• Very uniform roots
• High resistance to nematodes
• Great choice for the pre pack as well as the bulk market.
Be careful however of sowing early and high applications of Nitrogen due to the plant vigour.
The adaptability and performance of Nativa during these difficult months make it now possible to produce carrots in KZN when prices are high.
This is also coupled with a high yield potential – Nativa is a great choice for the pre pack as well as the bulk market.
Contact McDonalds Seeds for more information on this unique variety and sowing guidelines for your area.
Fifteen years ago Mayford released Disco LL F1 Hybrid Determinate Salad Tomato.
Today it is still the reliable and adaptable quality variety; making it a great choice for every tomato farmer.
Disco LL F1 Salad Tomato – Special Features
• Long shelf life tomato with an excellent track record.
• Improved colour and flavour.
• High yield potential with a high percentage of first grade fruit.
• The variety is aimed at the typical pre-pack market but for outdoor production.
• Excellent disease package including bacterial canker.
• Low nitrogen requirement because of vigorous growth habit
For more information and assistance on a fertilizer program to help you get the best out of this fantastic variety – contact McDonald Seeds.